This battery of light artillery was recruited by authority of Major-General Fremont, then in command in Missouri. Three weeks of active recruiting, principally in the counties ofHamilton, Wayne, Mercer and Jackson, filled the battery to a maximum of 170 men under the command of Captain Andrew Hickenlooper. The battery was mustered into service from Aug. 31 to Sept. 20, 1861, at Cincinnati, by Capt. Wilson, to serve for three years. The men, without ordinance yet, were forwarded to St. Louis as fast as enlisted.